Journal Articles, Book Chapters, & Published Conference Papers
- Michael Lamb, “Difficult Hope: Wendell Berry and Climate Change,” in Hope, ed. Nancy E. Snow (Oxford University Press, forthcoming)
- Michael Lamb, Elise M. Dykhuis, Sara E. Mendonça, and Eranda Jayawickreme, “Commencing Character: A Case Study of Character Development in College,” Journal of Moral Education, 51, no. 2 (2022): 238–260.
- Edward Brooks, Michael Lamb, and Jonathan Brant, “Should Universities Cultivate Virtue?: A Case for Character in Higher Education,” in Cultivating Virtue in the University, ed. Jonathan Brant, Edward Brooks, and Michael Lamb (Oxford University Press, 2022), 3–26.
- Michael Lamb, Jonathan Brant, and Edward Brooks. “Seven Strategies for Cultivating Virtue in the University,” in Cultivating Virtue in the University, ed. Jonathan Brant, Edward Brooks, and Michael Lamb (Oxford University Press, 2022), 115–156.
- Michael Lamb, Edward Brooks, and Jonathan Brant, “Character Education in the University: Opportunities and Challenges,” in Cultivating Virtue in the University, ed. Jonathan Brant, Edward Brooks, and Michael Lamb (Oxford University Press, 2022), 253–277.
- Michael Lamb, “Augustine on Hope and Politics,” Augustinian Studies, 53, no. 1 (2022): 29–45.
- Michael Lamb, “Augustine and Contemporary Political Theory: Toward an Augustinian Republicanism,” in Augustine in a Time of Crisis: Politics and Religion Contested, ed. Boleslaw Z. Kabala, Ashleen Menchaca-Bagnulo, and Nathan Pinkoksi (Palgrave Macmillan, 2021).
- Michael Lamb, Jonathan Brant, and Edward Brooks, “How Is Virtue Cultivated?: Seven Strategies for Postgraduate Character Development,” Journal of Character Education 17, no. 1 (2021): 81–108.
- Jonathan Brant, Michael Lamb, Emily Burdett, and Edward Brooks, “Cultivating Virtues in Postgraduates: An Empirical Analysis of the Oxford Global Leadership Initiative,” Journal of Moral Education 49, no. 4 (2020): 415–435.
- Jessica Koehler, Olga Pierrakos, Michael Lamb, Alana Demaske, Carlos Santos, Michael D. Gross, and Dylan Franklin Brown, “What Can We Learn from Character Education? A Literature Review of Four Prominent Virtues in Engineering Education,” 2020 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition (2020).
- Olga Pierrakos, Mike Prentice, Cameron Silverglate, Michael Lamb, Alana Demaske, and Ryan Smout, “Reimagining Engineering Ethics: From Ethics Education to Character Education,” 2019 IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference (2019), 1–9.
- Edward Brooks, Jonathan Brant, and Michael Lamb, “How Might Universities Cultivate Leaders of Character?: Insights from a Leadership and Character Development Program at the University of Oxford,” International Journal of Ethics Education, 4, no. 2 (2019): 167–182.
- Michael Lamb and Brian A. Williams, “Introduction: Contextualizing Everyday Ethics: Moral Theology Meets Anthropology and the Social Sciences,” in Everyday Ethics: Moral Theology and the Practices of Ordinary Life (Georgetown University Press, 2019), 1–15.
- Michael Lamb, “Augustine and Political Theory,” in T&T Clark Handbook of Political Theology, ed. Rubén Rosario Rodríguez (T&T Clark, 2020): 89–116.
- Michael Lamb, Emma Taylor-Collins, and Cameron Silverglate, “Character Education for Social Action: A Conceptual Analysis of the #iwill Campaign,” Journal of Social Science Education, 18: 1 (2019): 125–152.
- Michael Lamb, “Between Presumption and Despair: Augustine’s Hope for the Commonwealth,” American Political Science Review, 112: 4 (2018): 1036–1049.
- Michael Lamb, “Beyond Pessimism: A Structure of Encouragement in Augustine’s City of God,” Review of Politics, 80: 4 (2018): 591–624.
- Michael Lamb, “Augustine and Republican Liberty: Contextualizing Coercion,” Augustinian Studies, 48: 1/2 (2017): 119–159.
- Michael Lamb, “Ethics for Climate Change Communicators,” in Oxford Encyclopedia of Climate Change Communication, ed. Matthew C. Nisbet, Shirley S. Ho, Ezra Markowitz, Saffron O’Neill, Mike S. Schäfer, and Jagadish Thaker (Oxford University Press, 2018). *Reprinted in Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Climate Science (Oxford University Press, 2017).
- Michael Lamb and Melissa Lane, “Aristotle on the Ethics of Communicating Climate Change,” in Climate Justice in a Non-Ideal World, ed. Clare Heyward and Dominic Roser (Oxford University Press, 2016), 229_254.
- Michael Lamb, “Aquinas and the Virtues of Hope: Theological and Democratic,” Focus on Aquinas and the Democratic Virtues, Journal of Religious Ethics, Vol. 44, No. 2 (June 2016): 300–332.
- Michael Lamb, “A Passion and Its Virtue: Aquinas on Hope and Magnanimity,” in Hope, ed., Ingolf U. Dalferth and Marlene A. Block (Mohr Siebeck, 2016), 67–88.
- Michael Lamb, “Introduction,” Symposium on John Bowlin’s Tolerance among the Virtues, Syndicate (2019).
Op-Eds and Interviews
- Davey Henreckson and Michael Lamb, “Character in Crisis: The Challenges of Moral Formation in Higher Education,” Comment (Spring 2021): 58–64.
- Michael Lamb, “Biden’s Augustinian Call for Concord,” Breaking Ground (January 27, 2021).
- Michael Lamb, “Who Will Be Our Exemplar in Chief?” Winston-Salem Journal (October 30, 2020).
- Michael Lamb, “Campus Teaching Award Winner: Michael Lamb,” Political Science Now (May 24, 2017).
Works in Progress
- The Arts of Leading: Perspectives from the Humanities and Liberal Arts (co-edited volume with Edward Brooks)
- “Millennials and Leadership: The Trust Gap” (with Rogan Kersh and Cameron Silverglate)
- “Purposeful Change: The Positive Effects of a Course-based Intervention on Character” (with Sara Mendonça and Elise Dykhuis)
- “Digital Temperance: Adapting an Ancient Virtue for a Technological Age” (with Dylan Brown)